what are the bad parts? My answer would be that you cant use it to write a
green screen program. If it could, shops would have a migration path away
from RPG.

- It isn't written to leverage or integrate intimately with any operating
system which is something I like a lot about RPG.

- Java requires a fair amount of ramp up time when developing a new
applications because I always end up "going shopping" to see if the tooling
I am using is still the best/easiest and usually find something "better" and
go with that (think about ORM, logging, UI, etc). "Going shopping" is
necessary to keep up with the Jones' so you can hire people to maintain what
you've built.

- It is syntactically wordy. One could argue this doesn't matter with
intellisense, but I still have to look at the code when I maintain it.

- Doesn't come with nice business minded "bifs" out of the box and instead
you are required to build your own which will then be different from shop to
shop (no standardization like RPG).

- Java on the native iSeries side isn't "single JVM" minded like an app
server. This equates to many JVM's being up and running at a given time
which can't be good for performance.

- No native DB access, and instead you have to go shopping for ORM de jour.

I love the idea of IBM competing and improving RPG.

Now if we could get them to do a GUI we could actually go to market and
compete with Microsoft on the "looks" front :-) Right now RPG and GUI are
in the same place as Java and it's tooling: you have to spin your own wool.
That makes RPG+GUI very laborious and different at every shop.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com