On Jan 29, 2008 5:10 PM, Lukas Beeler <lukas.beeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jan 29, 2008 11:03 PM, Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
for each core ( guessing ) in the 4 core blade that is running i5/OS you
pay
$15K for the i5/OS license. For Linux you pay approx $1K.

15k for a single CPU i5/OS core license?

Insane. But it makes sense if IBM is serious about killing the platform
off.

you have to factor in the price of db2 on the AIX system. as of 2 years
ago, this is what IBM told me:

db2 express runs on the max 2 processors and 4GB of memory.
db2 express can be had on a per user pricing of $624 + $124 per user.
Unlimited users is $4874 per processor.
the workgroup server edition of db2 is $1211 + $311 per user or
unlimited users for $9375 per processor.

I think part of the $15K per core price is for DB2 which is built into
i5/OS.

The max 40 user limit, if true, is what I think is nuts. The system can run
hundreds of users, but even if you will pay the $250 per user price, Bill
Zeitler, the i5/OS killer, will only allow the system to run 40 users.