The print file is QSYSPRT, which is used by just about everything. What gets
broken if PRTQLTY is changed from *STANDARD to *DRAFT? This is a hospital. Not a good idea for me to do something that might break other things. What I
do not understand is that this only recently became an issue. I do not know if
our vendor supplied software changed QSYSPRT, or possibly a PTF. But, we now
have two laser printers that refuse to auto rotate. The bulk of the printers
are being forced to print in portrait, even if line width (trailing blanks)
would have triggered landscape, for other reasons.

John McKee

Quoting Wayne McAlpine <wayne.mcalpine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

PRTQLTY should be specified in the printer file.

John McKee wrote:
Just looked at the DEVD. PRTQLTY is set to *STD. Tried to change, but
that
parameter is not presented to change. Renamed the old DEVD, and tried
to opy
to original name. Saw PRTQLTY parameter. But, cannot change it to
*DRAFT. Attempting to do so produces an error.

Error text is:

Message . . . . : Print quality cannot be specified.
Cause . . . . . : Print quality (PRTQLTY parameter) can only be
specified if
the device class (DEVCLS parameter) is local (*LCL) and the device
type is
ASCII.
Recovery . . . : Remove the print quality (PRTQLTY parameter) value
specified. Then try the request again.

John McKee

Quoting Wayne McAlpine <wayne.mcalpine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

John, there is no PAGRTT parameter on the device description. What that
means is that a default page rotation code will be sent to the device.

The default for PAGRTT is *AUTO, but it's interesting to note that this
only works if PRTQLTY is *DRAFT. If PRTQLTY is *STD, no rotation is
performed. If you want to insure that rotation is performed, specify
PAGRTT(*COR) on the CRTPRTF command; this will work regardless of the
PRTQLTY setting.

John McKee wrote:
On my system, CHGPRTF does have PAGRTT parameter. It is currently set
to *DEVD.
Which makes me think that there is some parameter on the DEV command to
control this. But, it is not on either CHG or CRTDEVPRT. So, why does
CHGPRTF
have *DEVD for PAGRTT? Is there some other keyword on the CRT and CHG
commands
other than PAGRTT?

John McKee

Quoting Nick_Radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

John,

It is not on the CRTDEVPRT or the CHGDEVPRT. The parm is associatted
with
the Print File, CRTPRTF, CHGPRTF or OVRPRTF.

Thanx,

Nick

Nick Radich
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
EPC Molding, Inc.
Direct (320) 679-6683
Toll free (800) 388-2155 ext. 6683
Fax (320) 679-4516
nick_radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John McKee <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/23/2008 10:56 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: Printer stopped doing autorotate

That is what is bugging me. We are at V5R4. The PAGRTT parameter
is not
showing on either CRTDEVPRT or CHGDEVPRT.

John McKee

Quoting Nick_Radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

On our box, at V4R5, the CRTPRTF cmd has a parm PAGRTT, which is
about 5
pages into the command. The default is set to *AUTO.

The same is true for the CHGPRTF command, only with 4 pages/screens
into
the command.

When you key in the command and prompt on it, you have to hit F10
to see
the rest of the parms.

HTH

Thanx,

Nick

Nick Radich
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
EPC Molding, Inc.
Direct (320) 679-6683
Toll free (800) 388-2155 ext. 6683
Fax (320) 679-4516
nick_radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John McKee <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/23/2008 09:13 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: Printer stopped doing autorotate

The print file was changed, apparently, in August. Currently, PAGRTT
is set to
*DEVD. But, I don't see PAGRTT parameter when I use CHG or CRT
commands.

I just compared the retrieved source of the problem printer with one
that
appears to be working. No PAGRTT parm there either.

So, if the printer file states *DEVD for PAGRTT, what parameter is
that?

John McKee

Quoting Nick_Radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Hi John,

Has the PRTF been changed/recompiled? The PAGRTT parm might have
been
changed then. Or, is there an OVRPRTF in the CL that was changed?

Thanx,

Nick

Nick Radich
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
EPC Molding, Inc.
Direct (320) 679-6683
Toll free (800) 388-2155 ext. 6683
Fax (320) 679-4516
nick_radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John McKee <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/23/2008 08:45 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Printer stopped doing autorotate

I was called to look at a printer yesterday. Currently, it is
printing
in
portrait mode, even though it should be printing this report in
landscape.
accomplish this, the font has been changed to a tiny font.

I was told that the printer had not been changed. I have been
looking
at
the
setup page for it, a Lexmark Optra T610. Nothing there seems
unusual.

According to the caller, the behavior changed in December. Lo and
behold,
the
device description has a change date in December.

I retrieved the source, but don't know what parameter is effecting
this
behavior.

Can somebody point me to the parameter that is inhibiting page
rotation.
based
on the device description below?

Thanks!

John McKee

CRTDEVPRT DEVD(SOCP001) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1) +
LANATTACH(*IP) PORT(9100) ATTACH(*DIRECT) ONLINE(*YES) +
FONT(011 *NONE) FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) +
PRTERRMSG(*INFO) MSGQ(*LIBL/QSYSOPR) ACTTMR(170) +
INACTTMR(*SEC15) LINESPEED(19200) WORDLEN(8) PARITY(*NONE) +
STOPBITS(1) TRANSFORM(*YES) MFRTYPMDL(*LEXOPTRAS) +
PPRSRC1(*LETTER) PPRSRC2(*LETTER) ENVELOPE(*NUMBER10) +
ASCII899(*NO) IMGCFG(*NONE) CHRID(*SYSVAL) +
RMTLOCNAME('10.52.52.112') SYSDRVPGM(*HPPJLDRV) +
TEXT('Social work printer') PUBLISHINF(*UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN +
*UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *BLANK (*UNKNOWN))

mailing
list

mailing