Wilt, Charles wrote:

Actually, *IPDS spool files sent to a TYPE(*IPDS) AFP(*NO) printer lack the intelligence you're
talking about.
*SCS, *IPDS, *AFPDS spool files sent via the PSF/400 licensed program to a TYPE(*IPDS) AFP(*YES)
printer have the intelligence provided by two-way communication you describe. From the IBM AS-400
Printing V Redbook:

Charles:

I appreciate the added info. I recall printing to IPDS printers back OS/400 V3 or earlier (hard to be certain exactly) where two-way communication worked. But somewhere back there, the PSF/400 product started showing up, IIRC.

Perhaps that 'intelligence' was removed in a kind of lobotomy? Removed from the base system and moved into the LPP.

I haven't worked with IPDS printers since then. Maybe it's all just lost in the fog of memory. I tend to forget stuff that I don't use after a decade (or two).

Tom Liotta