What type and volume of shipments are you talking about? Individual
parcels, individual pallets, truck loads? Are the packages uniform in
size/shape or odd sizes? Can the camera be mounted in a fixed location or
does it need to be positioned for each package? Have you looked at
wireless terminals? They can be human carried or lifttruck mounted. Could
they be used to trigger the camera, and store the image?

With a portable wireless terminal, can your shipper scan the barcode on
the packing slip, trigger the camera and have the system link the image
name/number to the order? How are you going to unlink this when the
shipper scans a packing list, and starts taking pictures of the wrong
order? Is there something on or about the boxes that identifies them as
being the correct item to go to this customer, or do they just look like
boxes with barcodes?

I don't see a case study on the link you give, just a page describing a
scanner that can be attached to a particular camera.

Steve

Steven Morrison
Fidelity Express

"Alfredo Delgado" <adelgado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/17/2008 08:13 PM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Camera with Barcode Reader

We know the order number and the fellow on the floor will be staring at it
and its corresponding barcode on the packing slip he's following. What I'm
looking to do is tag the photographs with the order number so that fellow
doesn't have to walk over to a computer and follow some manual error prone
process of linking images x, y, and z with order 123.

That attachment (
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/514983-REG/Fujifilm_600006442_Programmed_Bar_Code_Reader.html
)
I linked to used school pictures as a case study. Kid walks up and gives
you
her name. You have a list with names and bar codes so you find his name,
scan the barcode and shoot away knowing that the pictures are going to be
associated with that kid. That seems like a great model for staying
focused
on the task at hand without sweating clerical details. Keep kids moving in
front of the camera or keep orders going out the door -- the images keep
track of themselves.

On 1/17/08, smorrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <smorrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>