I've been participating in a "wouldn't it be cool" project that involves
taking pictures of orders as they go out the door and out of our control.
I'm hoping someone can lead me to a camera that can read a barcode from a
packing slip and associate images of the packaged order with that order
number. These orders can be as large as a pallet so a fixed solution on a
conveyor belt wouldn't be practical.

I've found this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/514983-REG/Fujifilm_600006442_Programmed_Bar_Code_Reader.html
but it's kind of pricey when you factor in a $1600 camera and they'd be
operated in a warehouse instead of a high school auditorium.

Once the image is taken the low end goal is to print a copy and put it in
with the packing slip -- no need for a barcode. The high end goals involve
storing the images on our System i where they can be called up by the order
number.

Thanks,
Alfred