I'm jumping in the middle of the thread, so I might have missed
things....

I agree that QTEMP shouldn't be in the QUSRLIBL, but why not in the
JOBD?

I often use QTEMP for work spaces (like user spaces or user indexes)
that hold temporary data that only applies while the job is active. It's
data that I don't want to save, so I think QTEMP is a great space since
it's automatically cleaned up.

I never use it for update data - only for sorting, displaying, etc. (and
for working with the list API's when I want to display a list in a
subfile or a panel group).

I don't understand why QTEMP would be bad for such work spaces.

Jim

It is the quality of our work which will please God and not the
quantity.
Gandhi, Mahatma