This is all part of a move to collect data at different places in the
transaction cycle. There are many many other means of gathering data, so we
should not focus on just one.

However, if we do supply this option to the customer, we then have to focus
on ~this~ particular data entry user. Ultimately, the user experience design
should allow for such things as storing the data - no re-typing required..
or if the user decides to re-type for "security" reasons, then they should
have the choice. We should provide for character entry and selectable GUI
controls. We should provide lookups for information that may not be at a
persons fingertips (airport codes, country names, etc).. We should let them
type a zip/postal code and lookup the rest of the information for them. We
should validate as much of the data as possible. We should allow for
forgiveness when they type or select something wrong. Our graphical design
should not be in the way of the task at hand. Our icons should be obvious,
self explanatory and have hover text. Help should be close at hand, and
connection to a human should be easy for the user. The experience should be
one that is pleasant and means they will return.

And then, there is the marketing!