With the exception of exit points (which I tend to provide lots of in my code) I never use the library list for program calls. I also tend to library qualify my command usage, the main exception being commands if I'm prompting. Using the library list for execution flow might be handy for development purposes, but opens up too many exposures (in my mind anyway) for production code.

To an extent, this view may be a carry over from IBM development -- where library qualification is considered a key part of maintaining integrity and security. And certainly if your code is for in house use, as opposed to being marketed to others, one can relax a bit in terms of library qualification. But in general I don't want someone inserting their code into my execution stream unless it's done by way of a formal exit (where I can add additional checks on what comes back).

Bruce

Jerry Adams <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There are some places where one cannot qualify the library, such as the
36EE (although it does have the FLIB command). In a test environment
(single LPAR, multiple libraries - test/production) using the library
list is pretty much a "must have" for many situations. But I can still
do explicit overrides because I know if I am running in a test -vs-
production mode. But the programs (CALL's) I usually leave to the
library list. Only the tables, data areas, etc., get qualified.
Naturally, there are always exceptions to the rule .-)

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeff Crosby wrote:
Crispin,

You took the words right out of my mouth. If the library is always
explicitly coded, why have the library list at all?