There will never be a GUI based interface to a 10 key pad that works
well. But there shouldn't be. For the instances where you need rapid
data entry, you use an emulator. But more and more, raw numeric data
entry is being supplanted by electronic interfaces like EDI, or using
XML data streams, or web services. It's the right tool for the job. A
10 key calculator does a lousy job of displaying graphs, so don't use
it for that either.