From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Glenn Birnbaum
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:06 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: System i Physical PTF Delivery Documentation (Chuckles)

More proof that IBM can't pick a name and stick with it.....

I just got a couple of CD's from IBM containing PTFs. The documentation
sent with it has a couple of blue cover pages and then the first white
page talks about the expectations for delivery time on 'System i PTFs'.

The next page is titled 'Correct Service Package'. Below the box
containing my order info (Date, SDF#, PMR#, etc.) is a paragraph
starting with these sentences: "Enclosed are the AS/400 Corrective
Service PTFs resulting from your order. These PTFs are listed on page
two of this package". Just to be clear, my shop got rid of all our
AS400s quite some time ago.

On page two, there are no references to any AS/400 anything. Instead,
on page two, the title is "Recommended System i Technical Support
Information on the Web". Below the title is the subtitle "Support for
IBM System i".

Page three is blank and page four has the following heading:
"AS/400 Corrective Service SDF Order # Bxxxxxxxx"

Page five contains the title "PTF PRE-INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION FOR
OS/400". Within the next few pages are references to OS/400 several
times, AS400 as part of a URL name and eServer i5 when discussing server
IPLs. Good thing that I don't care what they call it, I know what they
intend to get across. But isn't it amusing that in the same PTF package
documentation that the name bounces back and forth.......

Now I'm not trying to start a name RANT, just sharing my cynicism about
IBM's inability to keep the name consistent.

Glenn