In previous conversions from one box to another, we have had:
* There was some hardware we TEMPORARILY RENTED that was connection between one box and the next, so that data could be "piped" over. On that occasion, the new box had a different kind of backup tape that was incompatible with our prior box backup tape system.
** Decades ago, in a conversion, I had to transport our punched cards in company van, about 100,000 cards per trip, to a company that had both puched cards and mag tape, run some equipment to copy our cards to tape, then take the tape to IBM HQ where they had a box with both mag tape and the kind of removable hard drives we getting, to copy the data from tape to disk, then do the loop again with another 100,000 cards. We had over 1 million cards that had to be converted in a weekend, to test the conversion ... first test failed.
* Our old box had all sorts of system parameters related to our needs, while the new box needed a newer version of OS. There was some process the CE went thru to get the two sets of changes applied to final result. It was explained to me at the time, but now I forget.
* Sometimes a new OS means the data & programs & reports, all need to have some upgrade applied, which can be time consuming.
* There was also the rigamarole to get our 3rd party software a license key that worked. They sent us patches for the software to work on the next OS. Most of the tapes were unreadable.
* We had called all our peripheral suppliers ... will your ____ whatever work on the new OS version, do we need to get some upgrade from you, does this impact our license with you ... the best answer was "no guarantees, try it and see, nothing extra to have to pay us"
* If you had better relations with IBM & BP, maybe they could change the CPU serial # on replacement box to be same as that on the old box, which would simplify a lot of things.
** There's precedence for this. Serial # logic has something to do with WHAT NATION the box is in. There have been people who moved their company from one nation to another, then IBM has insisted that the serial # on their box be changed to one that's valid in the other nation.
** If anyone ever succeeds getting this, I sure want to know about that precedent.

ChadB wrote:

> If that becomes necessary, you and your management should be LOUDLY

> demanding that either IBM or your BP that made the mistake in selling you

> the processor step in to ensure that the box swap is done at their expense

> and with their technical assistance (knowing of course that you'll need to

> watch them every step of the way).

I'd agree. Not sure at this point, but it's something I'll check into.

Chris Bipes wrote:

> What I have always done it get the new system up with min hardware.

> Just the OS installed and then get it on maintenance. Now that the

> system is registered to you, (You have a maintenance contract?) you can

> get your system password.

> Once I have that, I will then ask to move my licensed program from the

> old system to the new system.

> Once that is done and I have my licenses for any other 3rd party

> software, I them move the old system to the new system. It took me 88

> days to get a used system I purchased transferred to me so I could get

> the system password.

The more I think about it, the more worried I am.

I believe the plan is to simply move the DASD, IOAs, IOPs, and of course the faster CPU into the box
the faster CPU came from.

Then turn the box on and the expectation is that it will come up. We know we'll need new license keys
from IBM and other 3rd party software, and we're supposed to be getting them.

But I have a hard time believing this will work. Will the LIC and OS be able to deal with the new
serial number(s)?

Certainly the Backup & Recovery manual doesn't appear to cover this!

Charles Wilt

Software Engineer

CINTAS Corporation - IT 92B

513.701.1307

wiltc@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wiltc@xxxxxxxxxx>

This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be confidential and privileged. If you receive this e-mail and you are not a named addressee you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please delete and otherwise erase it and any attachments from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.