There are a few other things I suggest you consider, for example:

- Do users need some type of workflow? When invoices come in, would they
like for them to be routed to a manager for approval? Some doc mgmt
systems have this capability while others don't.

- How are those documents coming in? Are they all mailed in and then
they will be scanned or do you have documents being faxed in as well?
Some companies we've worked in the past had about 90% of invoices
arriving via fax... and if that's the case, you would want to integrate
the receiving of the inbound faxes with the doc mgmt system. And there
are several ways to do that, but that's another subject all on itself.

- When you say 'archive printed reports on the iSeries' do you mean they
want to archive reports they have already printed (by scanning) or
reports they generate from the iSeries and they are not only printed but
a pdf/tiff copy is saved as well? I imagine is the latter and for that
different systems will handle things differently, as well the indexing
of such reports.

- Do you want to have users enter the indexes manually for each document
or would you have the ERP generate those? Depending on the system you
choose, you can integrate the doc mgmt application with the ERP so that
when the user is doing a voucher entry for example, the ERP passes the
indexes to the doc mgmt system automatically, thus saving time and
avoiding user entry errors.

- How do you see users retrieving documents from the system? Would you
like them to retrieve documents directly from an ERP screen or to simply
do searches until they find it? Some solutions will let you retrieve not
only a certain document but all other related documents as well (e.g.
you retrieve an invoice and it comes with the PO that originated it, the
receiving documents, etc.) simply by pressing a function key on your ERP
app.

It is usually best for you to involve your user/client in this
'discovery' phase and first map out completely the process they have and
what they want to change. Once you have the process mapped out, you can
then look for solutions that will match what you want. That's a key
point. Don't look only at the technology per se, but see how that will
apply to the business process.

I'll be happy to discuss and give examples of what I mean off-line if
you'd like.

Good luck!

Daniel Kuperman

Quadrant Software
www.quadrantsoftware.com
508-594-2700

<vendor plug> Check out our document management solution at
www.intellichief.com <vendor plug ends>