Rich,

Item 1 of 3: Gee, you forgot the <vendor> </vendor> part.
Item 2 of 3: I'm still slapping the snot out of the vendors we pay
megabucks for maintenance on to get me a copy of their software that will
at least pass ANZOBJCVN and most of them haven't. Many of them were
notified over a year ago to prepare for this. Several of them are in
IBM's early ship program and all that did was give them an excuse to delay
getting a resolution until they got beta code from IBM to test out. So
let's not assume that throwing money at software garners any better
support.
Item 3 of 3: Let's not confuse "freeware" with "Open Source". WRKDBF
fell into the "freeware" category. Granted, with one of the main goals of
V6R1 to be the killer of FAST/400 (and that genre) the odds are high that
WRKDBF probably now uses some techniques that V6R1 would slay and it would
take some serious rewrites of WRKDBF, even if they did give out the
source.