I work with an application group from India and here is what I find:

If they have ever heard of the AS/400 they are hired and ss soon as they get some experience they are hired away. Therefore, I am constantly answering newbie questions. The code is such a mish mash that I have trouble comprehending what the intention is. Any comments are written in Indiaglish and usually just make it more confusing.

Albert

----- Original Message -----
From: SJL <sjl_abc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Is Insourcing the Next Phase?
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:45:34 -0600

Frankly, Dave, I think you're full of horse sh*t...you've got my
blood flowing now.

As I see it (and I was in the thick of it at Emerson), the American
programmers that are
left in the organization are actually the ones that are fixing the
sh*tty code coming back
from offshore.

The same is (was) true here at my current client (well, until they
fired the offshore
Indian firm last month).

We may be seemingly overpriced, but the stuff that highly
experienced, capable American
programmers produce is much higher quality that that produced by
the offshore programmers
(at least that of those I that I have seen), and it is not that
they are not capable, it
is just that they need DETAILED specifications to produce the code,
and most companies
don't do the necessary up-front documentation to get good code from offshore.

Face it: Eighty percent of the work in developing a system is
involved in doing the
analysis and design, and twenty percent in coding, and you can't
necessarily let people
12,000 miles away do all of the analysis and design work. The
trade-off is numerous
iterations of QC until they get it right.

And one more thing - the average number of years' experience for
the offshore guys is
low - most these guys are in their early 20's and learning on the
job. I'd guess that
none of the offshore 'programmers' have more than two years' experience.

JMHO,
- sjl