Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

From some people who work (programming) with dot-net, I've heard less than complementary things. They still say it's the future blah blah, but IMHO the MS behemoth has lost its luster. I think Firefox and Google are showcase examples of what open-source software can do vis-a-vis Microsoft, and it seems to me that a lot of companies use MS OS's and applications simply because, so far, it's all their tech staff knows, and the structuring of their technical departments surrounds MS stuff.

It's true that i-Techies allowed the growth of the "PC-departments" to grow from its limited area of applications to its incursion into functional areas always before occupied by US. And so a new application for the Board! where I work is using our System i as a file server, because they wanted it served up in web site fashion, so they went to the guys that take care of Sharepoint and the other on-line docs access...

I'm getting into this stuff way late and way behind. It's time for us to dive in, and learn how to serve up web pages and/or other graphical client-side presentation methods.

BTW, In my opinion the client-side should be as the thinnest possible or reasonable, for reasons that are independent of platform...

--Alan

From: Trevor Perry <trevor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Haven't you just identified the problem?

Programmers are between the user and the tool, so if it does not work for
the user, how can you claim that it is outstanding for "the programmer"?

While a tool may be "outstanding", isn't the measure of the tool in the
end-applications created by "the programmer" using the tool?

Welcome back to System i...