Joe Pluta wrote:

From: Buck

I'm very familiar with code generators; I spent more than 10 years
supporting a very large Synon application. I think I come by my opinion
of EGL as 'programming for dummies' honestly.

Hmm. Okay, but I don't use EGL as a code generator, Buck. I use it to
generate a user interface for RPG business logic. For me, EGL is no more
and no less than a way to create a display file for the web. It's the web
equivalent of a 5250 program that does nothing but call a server.

Yes, I understood that to be your goal. I don't believe it is the official IBM positioning for EGL, although that wasn't my reason for adding to the thread.

I may be wrong, but I think that your objection to EGL is based on the idea
that I advocate writing business logic in EGL, and I don't. I use the EGL
tooling to knock together web UIs for RPG.

I don't have any objection to EGL at all. Your original complaint was that people are slapping web sites together that are fragile -- too fragile for production. They're doing that because they think that they can bolt a few widgets together and they're done.

EGL is one of those tools intentionally designed to hide the technology infrastructure from the programmer. Like any number of frameworks and semi-automated tools, when something gets knocked akimbo, the WYSIWYG-only programmers will have a hard time righting things.

It just... struck my funny bone.
--buck