Aaron,

It certainly is a quandary which IBM has sown. There is no doubt. But, it is
too late to change it, no matter how stubborn some of the community remains.

Here is the suggestion. What brings us together is i5/OS. It runs on AS/400,
iSeries, System i5, System i servers (all called System i), and soon to be
on "other platforms". If we are talking about the OS - which is most of what
we do, we call it i5/OS. If we are talking hardware, we talk about the
server name - currently "System i" is the name of the family.

Certainly, when we talk specifics about ~our~ situation, we might talk about
our hardware and our software, etc. - no different than my "Windows" running
on my "Dell", for example. But, if I am selling our future to ANYone, inside
or outside the community, I would reference this as i5/OS.

Ultimately, when talking to our end-user community, we should not have a
need to reference the OS or the hardware. We have prospects who say "does it
run on Windows?" because a vendor told them that. They really do not care
about "windows", but they see it as something they must have. And if all
they have heard is AS/400 for years, they consider it needs to be replaced.
If we called our internal systems by the name of the application, then the
hardware and OS would not matter, and we may not be in a market that is
losing ground.

This started with an email that was selling me education for iSeries from a
company with 400 in their name. What they are actually selling is i5/OS
education. Now it is 2008, shouldn't they get with the program?

Trevor