why CAN'T we blame IBM for not thinking of a more usable and searchable
name? how can we DO anything about that?....simple we can't!

as to being lazy....using names that people will not be able to easily
find information about actually discourages them more than using iseries,
i5, or as/400. am i advocating their use...to some degree maybe so...only
to allow the decision makers to find out more about the platform. i
generally steer them to i5 or iseries. and as far as the newbies...i was
referring to IBMs continuation of using as400 in the java toolkit. there's
no where (at least to my knowledge) where connections, etc to the system
are referred to anything other than as400. is that something WE can fix?
again no is the answer. we have to use what IBM gives us ... we have no
choice. yes we can all petition, scream, etc at IBM but will it truly
affect change? i don't think so. i believe in the system (regardless of
it's moniker) but google really has nothing to do with the naming choices
of any company other than their own...so we do we have that IS responsible
for these things? IBM that's who.

I'm not absolving my responsibility nor or others here. we are stating
proven facts in the real world...not the world as you see it from behind
your rose-colored glasses. i agree with alot of what you say as far as
the system, but this is one subject where i live in the real business
world and you seem to live in a virtual "utopia"...

in a perfect world, IBM would have given the system a better, more
searchable name... the "i" in System i just isn't that search friendly and
therefore less visible to the decision-makers in the real world. where do
the decision-makers hear the name...from us, if we are the only readily
available source of information on the system then anything windows,
linux, etc related will overrun the system for good...why because they can
more easily, readily find more info without having to dig through 1000s of
hits on <insert your favorite search engine here>

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

Trevor Perry <trevor@xxxxxxxxxx>
12/31/2007 09:36 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Happy i5/OS 2008?

Tommy,

The major problem we have is that it is easy to blame IBM, and therefore
we
can absolve ourselves of responsibility and sit on our bums and do
nothing.
It is obvious that approach smacks of laziness.

It is time for us to DO something, and stop blaming Google and IBM.

And it is not about convincing newbies that it is old or new. It is about
convincing the world out there that we are NEW. We cannot do that if we
use
names that refer them to OLD technology.

Trevor

On 12/31/07 10:26 AM, "Tommy.Holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"