hi scott..

i am sorry this is confusing..it is to me too..as i said i have not done any configuration stuff in close to two decades..i dont know anything about how any of it connects anymore and the people who are in operations here i dont think know any more than i do..so it is a matter of me not knowing what is or is not relevant..i am picking pieces of information out of the manuals trying to find the piece that will make it work..one reason i started looking at this other stuff was your little test of telnet..now i also tried telnet directly from a command entry screen on the 820 and get it going busy but never coming back and not giving any messages..it just goes to a blank screen and system busy indicator..

also ibm is not being any help..the people here have called them several times and they get a stock answer that it is an application problem and they are not interested and dont solve application problems..i am not sure they have even listened to what the situation actually is..that the programs do work..also today if i understood correctly..and i get the responses from ibm second hand..they wanted to say that we should not be using sockets to connect and do this..what we are doing is automating a file update process on both machines..one is some bpcs files and the other is some sap information..so this involved processing the information not just moving files from one machine to the other to be processed by other processes..the idea is not to have operator intervention and also not have to interrupt normal 24 hour a day work and processing to do file updates..we want to do these on an every 30 minute basis..

i have been told by the operator that there is no firewall..we ftp between the two machines but the way we do it is to make a save file..go through windows dos and ftp to a pc..then ftp from the pc to the other system..we dont ftp between the two systems..i will try doing this on monday and see what happens..

i hope this clarifies some instead of confusing more..

thanks

keith

message: 7 date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 15:02:42 -0600 from: Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> subject: Re: econnrefused Keith, Connection lists (WRKCNNL, DSPCNNL, et al) are for ISDN networking. Is ISDN what you're using? If not, why did you bring them up? You're really confusing the heck out of me by throwing stuff like this into the equasion. Same with the telnet servers... why are you telling me the job names of the telnet servers? You already said you can connect to them from a PC, and therefore they work. So why are we troubleshooting telnet all of a sudden? Then you talk about NetServer. What does NetServer have to do with anything? Regarding FTP: You can use FTP to send stream files. Frankly, it works a lot better on stream files (IMHO) than it does on record-based files, since that's really what FTP was designed for. In order to get to stream files, you just have to change your name format. However, from what you tell me, TELNET from one machine to another does not work. I assume therefore that FTP will also not work, since FTP is actually more complicated than TELNET. I get the impression that absolutely no network connectivity works between these two machines. Does that match your knowledge? If that's the case, then it really doesn't matter whether you're using your own socket program, or using TELNET, FTP, SMB, SSH, HTTP, SMTP, NNTP (which, by the way, are all socket programs -- but were written by someone else besides you.) The point is... it doesn't matter what application you're running over the network -- if the network doesn't work, the application won't work. And I'm not really in a good position to tell you what your network settings should be, since I have no clue even what type of network you're using, much less what the architecture of that network is. What type of network is this? (Ethernet, Token Ring, ISDN, dial-up?) Is it just one subnet on one network, or many subnets on many interconnected networks? If it's many, what are all the subnets and/or interconnected networks in between? I guess I really need a network diagram... at least of the two System i machines and any routers/gateways/switches/bridges in between. Have you done a traceroute? Are you 100% positive that there's no firewall (knowing that should make it much easier to troubleshoot things.) keith wrote: