I have more details on my situation. The actual message that is being
displayed is:

There was an error opening this document. Access Denied.

I have attempted to open a spreadsheet using STRPCCMD. I get an "Access
Denied" message. This would lead me to believe that the user profile does
not have the proper authority to the IFS even though they are the owner as
well as having *OBJMGT authority to the objects themselves.

This user has the following special authorities assigned to their profile
of *JOBCTL and *SPLCTL. Is there something else I could get added to their
authorities to get this to work?

Thanks,

Nick W. Mart

I have run into another opportunity with using the following statement
from within an RPGLE program.

strpccmd pccmd('start acrord32.exe \\ip address\tmp\mypdf.pdf')
pause(*yes)

This seemed to work well until one user tried the program using a Vista
installation. They got an error message when Acrobat reader tried to open
the document. The error message was something like this.

Adobe reader encountered an error while trying to open the document.
Access is denied.

From the archive, I found that /tmp can be a bit of a problem. I copied
the document to another folder with the same results. I checked the
authorities on the document. The user is the owner.

I have unchecked the Restrict rename and unlink secruity property of both
folders. Same results.

I copied the document from iSeries Navigator to the Vista desktop. The
document opens without problem.

Nick W. Mart