Chuck,

Thanks for the reply, and your assumption is correct. After I posted
the example - that shortened version of the LF was not the one that
was causing the problem - I figured out which LF was and yes, ICDETLF1
used the implicit structure of the physical by not naming any fields,
and the second format (ICDETLF2) did list the fields included in that
format.

now, my only question is _why_ is that error expected?