I should point out that many years ago, I interviewed someone for a job
that openly admitted he was counterfeited IBM stuff.

He remarked "I've got their label maker".

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

Al Barsa
<barsa@barsaconsu
lting.com> To
Sent by: midrange-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
midrange-l-bounce cc
s+barsa=barsacons
ulting.com@midran Subject
ge.com IBM System i guidance on disk
drives not manufactured by IBM

12/03/2007 05:20
PM

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

IBM System i guidance on disk drives not manufactured by IBM

IBM has recently observed cases at our IBM System i customers where disk
drives have been procured on the open market and modified to look like IBM
drives. These modifications include false labels that look like IBM labels
and firmware that is similar to ours. However, the disk drives have not
gone through our test processes, don't have the correct firmware, and have
sub-standard carrier hardware. These issues have led to failures in
customer systems. Since these are not IBM parts, they are not covered under
IBM's Warranty or Maintenance agreements. IBM recommends that you proceed
with caution when procuring disk drives for IBM System i servers from any
source other than IBM or other trusted reputable resellers.

If you do find drives that are counterfeit, we ask that you provide
information to us as we attempt to track the source of the parts.

Please contact Dave Verburg at 507-253-2648 or verburg@xxxxxxxxxx with this
information.