http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/db2/porting.html

I have had a read thru the "DB2 for i5/OS porting guide: MySQL to System i platform" and found a very interesting statement made about when to use Char versus VarChar. Page 11 has this tidbit:
"The CHAR data type must always be used for columns of 40 bytes or fewer."

Why would IBM make such a strong statement that we use a Char when the field is less than 40 bytes in length? Would it still be the case when I have a 35 character field that over 75% of the time only contains 15 characters? What about a 10 character field that is mostly only has data that is 4 characters in length? I realize that with a VarChar there are the bytes tacked on to contain the length, but I must be missing something someplace.

Can someone with some deep dark knowledge of the internal workings of DB2 for i5/OS give me some info on why IBM would say this.

Thanks,
Scott