Tom

Dave has decried the lack of a DBMON function on iSeries - except there IS one - it's called STRDBMON and ENDDBMON and has been around for quite a while. It collects only the statistics for SQL-based activity. The iSeries as a machine collects more information straight out of the box than almost any other I know of. Mainframes are meant for a different purpose and typically require system analysts to get the information we get so easily on iSeries. Of course, with that comes a cost - some performance.

In fact, there are 2 DBMON functions - one is API-based and I'm not sure if it's being brought along to the extent STRDBMON is - Elvis would know more, since I no longer work with him and have forgot so much!!!

This DBMON is also the basis for the monitors in iSeries Navigator that provide so much in the way of index advice and access plan trees and all.

Besides STRDBMON, there is the Performance Explorer information that gets down to the very depths of ALL system activity, if you want to collect it. It's not intended for constant use, of course - can be fairly extravagant in use of resources. But if you want to know segment usage at the object level, you can get it - that is part of storage management. If you want physical and logical IOs, you can get it. So to say the information is not there is just misinformed, in my view. Sorry, Dave, I respect so much of what you say. But this just does not wash - please explain exactly what you mean, if you want.

As to whether this is a true RDBMS - I don't know - I've read Date's book, where I get the clear sense that there is a clear distinction between the physical aspect of a DBMS and the application aspect - you can implement an RDBMS using a hierarchical physical model, maybe - it'd not be fun, but could be done. SQL is even not considered by many to be the best implementation of Codd's 12 rules, IIRC. Again, I speak from snippets of vague memory.

Basically, if it walks like a duck, flies like a duck, quacks like a duck, guess what ---- it's a DUCK for all practical purposes.

Enough talk of fowl - off to thanksgiving at my niece's home!! Maybe even some lefse.

Vern

At 04:06 PM 11/21/2007, you wrote:

Evan Harris wrote:

> Educate me. How would you do this on a "real" DBMS ? Would the statistics
> collected by the database tell me ?

I'd be interested as well in a purely technical sense. I'd be most
interested in what would count as a 'hit'. Would a DBMON-like
function report opens that resulted from using Notepad against one
of the "files" for example?

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta