Hi all,

In my efforts to get my 'sed' script to run fast I thought I would open a
PASE terminal session using CALL QP2TERM which brings up a different shell
than STRQSH, and SURPRISE! - the sed script ran at the speed I was
expecting.

So here's my question: Are there _two_ separate pseudo *nix environments on
the iSeries? Using STRQSH (or QSH CMD(.) from RPG) my results were VERY
slow. Doing the EXACT same sed statement in CALL QP2TERM session was 1/10th
the time of execution, which is the amount of time I was expecting.

For an immediate fix to my needs I am looking to use Qp2RunPase from my RPG
to run the sed command. But I still have a nagging question in my mind as
to how everything on the *nix side relates to each other. From the
infocenter I found this sentence that sort of gives an idea to the overall
infrastructure, but not entirely:

" OS/400 PASE also includes the Korn, Bourne, and C shells and nearly 200
utilities that provide a powerful scripting environment." -
http://www.esyurl.com/2m0

As I understand it, Korn=QP2TERM and C Shells=QShell, is that right?

TIA,

Aaron Bartell

http://mowyourlawn.com