Back to the original topic... Has anyone done a compare and contrast between where IBM is AND is not investing in the i5 vs. its other platforms? That should give you and idea of how serious they are about the i5 lasting or going the way of OS/2. Also, has anyone done a compare of the applications available in the market place for all platforms AND popular with the majority of customers? When you do that you'll see exactly why the i5 fits where it does in the buying plans of any CxO that writes the check for a new system and its applications. Without a serious supply of MODERN apps (ahh, that means NO green screen), the i5 WILL go the way of OS/2. I think IBM has put the i5 in mostly maintenance mode instead of growth as it sees the writing on the wall. It just can't compete with the modern world of *IX and Windoz. I wish it wasn't so.

Further, and to somewhat illustrate what I say... I was talking to the president of a major IBM partner this last Friday. He started out years ago as mostly an iSeries/i5 partner but has since expanded to all other IBM platforms except for mainframe. He told me MOST of his revenue comes from the pSeries or the xSeries, NOT from the i5.

Also, yesterday, I was talking with an IBMer about DataPropagator for the i5 and we got to talking about DB2 under i5/OS. He told me about some new function in DB2/400 and thought that was just as neat as sliced bread. I said, see there, that function's a perfect example of how behind the i5 is; that's been around for YEARS in the real DB2s. This, and other examples, coupled with the demise of both i5 user groups in this state in the past several years tells the trend. I think the platform can be saved but ONLY if it can get up to speed with respect to the offerings from the other platforms.

Sincerely,

David Odom
Arizona