Lukas,

Where in God's name do you come up with this stuff?

A 515 Struggles with V5R4??????? I haven't seen a 515 even break a
sweat yet. I have 515's at quite a few customers running V5R4 that are
screaming. Absolutely screaming. Yes, we did order them all with at least
4GB of memory, but that is why you don't buy them from CDW off of a
warehouse shelf. You need to understand the workload. I know from your
posts that you understand workloads so why would you recommend a 515 with a
small amount of memory. We put in a 515 with all 8 (15K RPM) drives, and it
is performing rather nicely, and it replaced an 820 that had 12 (10K RPM)
drives and was doing a good amount of I/O.

Memory has always been a huge performance enhancer in AS/400s,
iSeries, and i5s. I would imagine it will continue to be in power 6 as
well.

I will agree that a 270 can be a little slow with applications like
WebSphere, but what is the configuration of the 270. We had one that was
working its butt off, and all we did was go in and buy some very very cheap
memory (less then 2 months ago) and it is now like a brand new box. We
wound up tripling the memory (for less than $750 US).

For your comment on small systems (paying less than 100,000),
remember there are more small boxes sold than large boxes, and when you add
all those numbers of small boxes they will add to the bottom line, so IBM
does care about them. True, it takes a lot of small boxes to equal the
profitability of a 595, but I was wondering why you say that IBM doesn't
give a sh*t about small customers.

Pete