From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 12:11 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: EGL for Web UI

From: Jake Bruster

If they are able to implement persistence across an entire session, I
think
it would make modernizing most existing 5250 applications relatively
easy. Very cool!

Exactly. The EGL team has a fabulous design already in place if you like
stateless architectures, which is where a lot of web folks come from. It
took me a little while to explain that stateful sessions (which is
essentially what a QINTER job is) have their place as well, and in fact are
important to highly responsive online transaction processing systems.

The whole idea of having lots of open data paths with the cursor already
positioned to the correct place, and being able to store current information
and pass it from one program to the next easily, is foreign to someone who
has pretty much grown up with web architectures, especially the old
stateless HTTP model.

But I'm pretty confident that the EGL team understands what we're trying to
accomplish. And once they've given us persistent sessions combined with a
simple syntax for AJAX design, I think we're going to see a real rebirth of
the business application, in which programmers can focus on making end users
more productive rather than spending all their time trying to find a stable
architecture to use.

I say leave the bleeding edge stuff for the bloggers <grin>. Wiki designers
can fight over which is the coolest templating engine. Let us application
programmers solve business problems!

Joe