From: Jon Paris

I really only did mean that you will never have to code a line
of Java if you use EGL, since that's always been the rub with JSP
Model 2.
You may WANT to for various reasons, but you will never have to.

Joe - do you have any idea why you are at odds with Bleddyn (sp?) on
this score? He has been a huge supporter of EGL and yet he was
pretty definitive when I saw him speak in the UK that without their
intimate knowledge of Java and JSPs they could not have made EGL work
in the real world. Is the current version so much better than V6
which is I believe what most of his experience was based on. Or ... ?

Jon, I haven't talked directly to Bleddyn in a while, but I have talked to
the EGL team and nobody quite understands your comment. They're not sure
whether you misunderstood his points, or it was just so long ago as to be
out of date. I can point to his latest statement:

http://blog.morpheus.co.uk/blog/blog.nsf/dx/31082007105309MADDMG.htm

Specifically, he states:

"For many of our customers, there is no need to become Java programmers - it
is too much of a leap for them. With EGL, they can produce applications, and
lack of Java expertise is not going to stop them from getting things done."
- Bleddyn Williams, Director, Morpheus Limited...

From that, it looks like Bleddyn and I are not at all at odds. When is the
last time you talked to him?

Despite the fact that I liked VA Gen and EGL looked good, I have not
spent more time on it in part because I _don't_ have the depth of
Java etc. that you and Bleddyn have and have neither the time or
desire to obtain it.

I do all my testing and proof of concept work without coding any Java.
While you can easily integrate your own Java code (they've made it
absolutely seamless to do so), I'm concentrating on identifying what can be
accomplished by the everyday RPG programmer.

Joe