Would this help you? Granted, it doesn't change the msgid, but you
could automate the add/delete process or just add messages to a new msgf
on the fly.

From the IBM API Finder.......

The Retrieve Message (QMHRTVM) API retrieves the message description of
a predefined message. The message description is created with the Add
Message Description (ADDMSGD) command. It consists of the text of the
message and other information, such as the message help and the default
reply for the message.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Essinger
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:36 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Changing a message ID in a MSGF

We have a standard to use predefined error and informational
messages from a msgf in our in house written systems. These
display a the bottom of screens, as well as in QSYSOPR
message que. We like to keep the standard of the first three
digits of the message ID equal the system ID so that when we
get an error, we know which system is throwing it out. So we
have a system that all the messages in the message file start
with ABCnnnn, and have a new system being written with
DEFnnnn. Some of those messages are the same between
systems, so we would like to be able to change the message ID
and one or two words in the description to match the new
system. It would save some time to be able to copy and then change.

Jim