On Nov 15, 2007 11:39 AM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lukas, your dispatches from the front lines of computing are great
reading. Here is a video that illustrates in a small way how MSFT
is cleaning IBM's clock in the world of software applications...

I hate it when Steve Richter snags me in his net of non-stop complaints about IBM and their handling of the System i. It seems that about 90% of his posts are offensive hyperbole mixed with bad advise, and why would dispatches of IBM failing on the front lines be great reading to him?

gosh Nathan, I apologize. Sounds like what we have here is a failure
to communicate.

Nevertheless I took the bait, and listened to Microsoft's Channel 9 interview with Siemen's smug-faced Scott Carney.

you know the guy?

The kicker for me was when Scott finally admitted some of the challenges of keeping "cloud-computing" up and running 24 X 7, an how
difficult debugging in a "cloud" was.

which means what? That .NET trails other technologies on the debugging
and problem determination front? My opinion ( just a suggestion,
dont jump out of the window ) is it would be great if i5/OS could be
improved where the complete state of a failed job and the database
files it has open could be saved at the point of failure. That way
the programmer has more complete information for researching what it
was that caused the weekend batch update job to fail.

-Steve