Even when not just used solely for ISAM, there are still not the many dozens of questions that are incomprehensible to those using SQL on DB2 for i5/OS. For example, when was the last time a question was raised here about how do I... /start the database/, /increase tablespace size/, /increase the log size/, /use dbxxx invocation to backup the database/, /install the database/, etc. Variants of such questions are constantly being re-asked on other newsgroups for other databases.
As a friend of mine [has been and is an SQL guy through and through] said after having to move into a *nix environment [with both non-DB2 and DB2], he asked [paraphrased] "How does anyone ever get anything done? Everyone constantly asks for some adjustments; things that were never an issue on System i. A bunch of busywork with little progress using these databases on *nix. I miss DB2 for i5/OS."
However suggesting that a DBA is unnecessary on DB2 for i5/OS, has any DBA avoiding the system for fear of not having a job. But it is not the work that is gone, it is the busywork to which my friend alluded. Is it better to have a job doing repetitive menial tasks, or doing things that help the user [and the company] progress? The rest of the industry seemed to be keeping with the former, albeit some databases are claiming to be ridding of many of those busywork tasks.

Regards, Chuck