Unless the NAS supports NFS (which the Buffalo Tera Station DOES NOT)
don't bother trying to use it with the iSeries unless you're going to
FTP save files to it for backups.

We had a customer purchase one of these for document storage without
asking for a recommendation.

QNTC is flakey at best and may work, most likely you will have security
problems.

NFS would work, but the Terastation does not support NFS to write files
directly to the unit.

That leaves FTP as the only stable transmission choice that will work
with it.

My recommendation is to look at one of the Windows based or Linux based
NAS servers such as the ones made by Iomega. I think you can get 3tb
for around 3K. These support NFS either natively or via Windows
Services for Unix.

Then you can create save files and copy directly to the NAS device from
the IFS.

Western Digital also has some cool new network drives, but we haven't
tested them for NFS compatability yet.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Get the information you need. Now!"
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
------------------------------

message: 5
date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:59:32 +0200
from: "Lukas Beeler" <l.beeler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Attach a NAS device to the System i

Hi Mark,

The only way you'll be access this thing is through the QNTC filesystem,
i.E. by using the normal Windows filesharing (SMB).

So, if you want to use it for backups you can create a savefile or
virtual tape image in the IFS (Root FS), and then copy said file through
the QNTC filesystem to the NAS box. Note that you can't save to a tape
image located in the QNTC filesystem.

Unfortunately, IBM does not allow you to use low end SAN attachment like
iSCSI for the System (though IBM _does_ use iSCSI to attach IXA servers
to your System i).