Nothing you do with an activation group can ever make a different to other JOBS running on the system. It can only affect programs that are running in the SAME JOB.

Is there any harm in using QILE for everything? IMHO, you shouldn't use QILE. Since QILE is the default value for the ACTGRP parameter, many, many things use it. When you write your own software, you often want to reclaim it, etc.. During testing, if nowhere else.

So, in my opinion, instead of using QILE for everything, you should pick your own activation group name, and use THAT for everything. For example, I work for Klement's Sausage, so I might make all of my programs run in ACTGRP(KLEMENTS). That way, I know I can reclaim the activation group without unloading any 3rd party tools that might have loaded themselves into QILE. (Technically, I could mess up other prgorams using 'KLEMENTS', but in theory, I'm responsible for those, so that's my own problem! On the other hand, it's hard to predict what a 3rd party software will do.)

IMHO, it's just as easy to pick an activation group of your own name and use it everywhere as it is to use QILE, so you may as well do that and avoid potential problems.

But, it wouldn't ever affect other JOBS, only other programs in the same job. Remember, an activation group is a sub-component of a job. Just as a field is a sub-component of a record. If you change the contents of a field, it won't affect other records, even if they have the same field name! Likewise, if you change an activation group, it won't affect other jobs, even if they have the same activation group name.

Glenn Gundermann wrote:
If I use a named activation group like QILE, does this affect any
other job on the system running in the same named activation group?
I.E. Is there any harm in using QILE for everything or is it best to
use different names for every program that you want to run in a named
activation group, like AR, AP, GL, MENUOPT1, PGMABC, etc.?