johnking@xxxxxxx wrote:

I know that CLLE doesn't exactly understand integers, but I was under the
impression that RTNVAR could be retrieved in a *CHAR variable and treated with
the %bin() function. Any suggestions will be most welcome. JK

John:

My first suggestion would be that ILE CL has understood *INT variables for a while now. If you're working in V5R1 or earlier, then I understand. I'm no longer certain about V5R2, though I can compile on V5R3 back to V5R2 and use *INT variables.

Therefore:

> DCL &SQLStmt *CHAR 1024
> DCL &hexinteger *int 4 <=== Change to *INT (4)
> ChgVar &SQLStmt ('select count(*) from SOMETABLE where SOMEFIELD = ''FOO'' ')
> CALLPRC PRC('RETURNCOUNT') PARM((&SQLSTMT) (&PGMRC) (&PGMMISC))
> RTNVAL(&HEXINTEGER)

If that change can't be made, my coding used to be like this:

> DCL &SQLStmt *CHAR 1024
> DCL &hexinteger *CHAR 4
> ChgVar &SQLStmt ('select count(*) from SOMETABLE where SOMEFIELD = ''FOO'' ')
> CALLPRC PRC('RETURNCOUNT') PARM((&SQLSTMT) (&PGMRC) (&PGMMISC))
> RTNVAL( %bin( &HEXINTEGER ) ) <=== Change to add %BIN()

The %bin() BIF always did the appropriate work to give a *CHAR 4 result. I never looked into why it worked as it did. It somehow always seemed backwards. But since it worked, I had no reason to look beyond it.

Tom Liotta