Rob,

I didn't read the "no giving up" thread, so I'm sorry if I missed that
we were discussing thick-client. In my case I was responding from a
asp.net point of view. In that context I'll answer your questions:

Was it an attempt to "distribute processing"?

No, but it does provide that option. Then again, the System i is often
big enough.

Or, was it more of that was where your talent lied?

That's certainly part of it.

Or, was it more of "gee, we're in here writing the front end, why get
out
and write the back end somewhere else?"?

That's probably the majority of it. But it wasn't quite so overt. I
didn't leave my house this morning and think to myself, "gee, I've got a
car, I think I'll drive that instead of taking the bus", I just got it
my car a drove to work, I never considered taking the bus.

But if it was the first reason, distributed processing, does that help
ease the burden on the server?

Like I said, that wasn't the primary reason, however, we've got sites
where we were able to just throw more servers at the site and resolve
performance issues. That's really no different than having a 515, and
saying, "well, if I bought a 595 it would go faster" except my servers
are cheaper :) And actually, it would probably be easier to just get a
bigger System i than add additional PC servers in many cases because you
need to make sure your application is architected to support multiple
application servers. Issues like caching, session-awareness, and server
affinity all play into the equation.

-Walden