From: Massiello

Joe,

The webstuff is a Memory Hog (I am being overly nice). We added
memory at one of our customers, and their speed improvement was ten-fold.
would beg, barrow, and steal to put more memory on the 270. I don't know
how much memory you have on the 270 (you said 1GB, but wasn't sure), but
if
you can get it up to 2GB, you will be much happier with any web
application
server app you are running. You have to realize, you really need about
512
Min just to run i5/OS. Uou really need about 750 for it to perform good,
so
you aren't leaving much memory for WAS.

I understand, Pete. Trust me, I know all about WAS and memory: I always
recommend that my clients carve out a separate memory pool for anything that
has to do with Java.

And I guess there's bloat with everything, but my point is that the model
270 didn't have any of these issues with V5R1 and WAS5.1 Express. Bloat is
one thing, but rampant bloat is sometimes a symptom of out of control
programming and it's always worrisome.

If though, as you suggest, adding another 1GB helps then I think it will be
worth it, especially if I can get it at a reasonable cost.

Joe