From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Eric Lehti
Sent: Thu 04.10.2007 07:01
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: WSJ says Hewlett Packard is organizing into groups based on customergoals, not server groups

What are your thoughts on how IBM compares to H-P these days?

How would you compare IBM to Hewlett Packard in light of this the H-P
press release at:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2007/070926xa.html?jumpid=reg_R1
002_USEN
The H-P news release is; HP Unveils Business Technology Solutions and
Services to Help CIOs Accelerate Better Business Outcomes
The Wall Street Journal article at
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119128933745445988.html comments on
the press release, saying:

Amid H-P's Jargon-Packed Prose Hides an Interesting Business Idea, By
BEN WORTHEN, October 2, 2007; Page B3
1) Most tech vendors still divide their business up by product.
2) The H-P announcement was intended to let people know that H-P is
organizing itself into groups based on the goals that can be
accomplished with the right technology, in contrast to organizing
around, say, a server group or a data-warehouse group.
3) H-P now has groups that sell products that companies can use to
cut costs, reduce risk, and do something with all the data they collect

I, EricL, would like to hear your comments on the H-P press release and
the WSJ article.