Jeff,

Security on the i5 functions the same regardless of whether or not one uses the 36 environment.
What is different is the library list. Here we have the special (36) environment set as a system value. But the library list, even if the environment is set via the user profile, should have two unique libraries that a non-36 environment normally would not have:
#LIBRARY
QSSP
It will probably, also, have QS36F, which is where the i5 wants to put data files when running in the environment. You can determine this both by looking at the library list and by running this while in the 36 environment:
// * '?FLIB?'
?FLIB? is a s/36 variable that stands for File Library.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jeffrey Carey wrote:
How does security function for users in the S/36 environment?
I'm working on a box running a S/36 app (GMI), and noticed that a user without the S/36 fails to sign on when they don't have authority to the library containing their initial program (which is good), but when that same user profile is set to Special Environment = *S36, they sign on with no problem.
I haven't worked with S/36 stuff, since, well I was on the S/36, so any input would be helpful. I did some searches of the available IBM documentation i could find without turning up anything.
Thanks!

Jeff Carey System i Manager Fimat Facilities Management Inc.

This electronic communication and its contents are intended for the recipient only and may contain confidential, non-public information. If you have received this electronic communication in error, please advise the sender immediately, and delete it from your system (if permitted by law).

Fimat does not warrant the accuracy, completeness or correctness of any information herein or the appropriateness of any transaction. Nothing herein shall be construed as a recommendation or solicitation to purchase or sell any financial product. Fimat reserves the right to consider any order sent electronically as not received unless it is confirmed verbally or through other authorized means. Fimat will not deem any order sent by electronic means as binding unless it is accepted and executed by Fimat in its sole discretion. Opinions expressed herein are statements only of the date indicated. Any market or other views expressed herein are those of the sender only, not necessarily those of Fimat. Trading in futures, securities, options and OTC products entails significant risks which must be understood prior to trading. All electronic messages sent to and from Fimat may be recorded and subject to archiving and monitoring.

Fimat and the Fimat Group refer to all companies or divisions of companies owned directly or indirectly by Soci?t? G?n?rale that include the ?Fimat? name. Only Fimat USA, LLC is a member of FINRA and SIPC. Fimat International Banque S.A. (UK Branch) does not deal with, or for Private Customers (as defined by the Financial Services Authority). Fimat International Banque S.A. (Frankfurt Branch) only conducts business with market professionals and institutional customers. Only Fimat Canada Inc. is a member of the CIPF. Not all services are available from all Fimat organizations or personnel. Consult your local office for details.