Hi Scott,

Thank you for clarifying some of those things about the IFS. I assumed
that everything on the box, especially the library system and QDLS does
reside in the IFS. I was just trying to see if there were any shortcuts I
could use for our backups. I didn't realize that copying from the IFS
outward "lost" the attributes of the Objects I was trying to copy.

What I wanted to do was:
1) copy the data from the IFS without using any of the "SAV*"
commands to an external server, thus reducing down time to my Users
2) I would then bring the data back onto the 400 at my leisure, and
back up that to tape, without any interuption to the Users, so it could be
restored normally in the future if need be.

" You could potentially use it as part of your backup strategy by backing
up data to a *SAVF (save file) object in a library, and then use an IFS
tool (such as CPYTOSTMF) to copy the save file to somewhere in the IFS.
Since Windows network drives are in your IFS, this potentially gives you
the ability to copy data over over the network to another computer. "

I also thought along the lines of what you stated above. But, how would I
copy the IFS SAVFs to other Network drives/computers/servers?

Thanx,

Nick

Nick Radich
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
EPC Molding, Inc.
Direct (320) 679-6683
Toll free (800) 388-2155 ext. 6683
Fax (320) 679-4516
nick_radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/01/2007 02:54 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: IFS and FTPing libraries

Hello Nick,

I would like to copy/save libraries from my IFS to a backup server we
have. This will replace the SAVLIB and SAVCHGOBJ we are currently using

for backupsk to tape.

Just to be clear... the IFS is not a means of creating backups, though
you could use it as a component in your backup strategy, it's not a
replacement for the SAVLIB command.

IFS stands for "Integrated File System" and that's exactly what it is...
it's an *interface* that integrates all of the various file systems
supported by i5/OS. In other words, it's a tool for accessing disk
objects that can access many different file systems (including your
"normal" library/objects, including QDLS, including Optical drives,
including network drives, including PC-like files stored on the System
i's DASD, etc.)

You could potentially use it as part of your backup strategy by backing
up data to a *SAVF (save file) object in a library, and then use an IFS
tool (such as CPYTOSTMF) to copy the save file to somewhere in the IFS.
Since Windows network drives are in your IFS, this potentially gives you
the ability to copy data over over the network to another computer.

You also mention FTP, which is an alternate means of copying data from
your SAVF to another computer. But, you still use SAVLIB to make the
*SAVF object if you're creating it from a library. Likewise SAVDLO
would still be used to back up QDLS. There's a command named SAV that
can be used to back up other areas of the IFS.

If you really want to eliminate the SAVLIB command, there's an API
QaneSava() that works like SAVLIB but instead of writing records to a
save file, it passes the save file data to a program of your choosing.
This could be used to save the data directly to an IFS file (potentially
over the network) without any need to first write it to a *SAVF object,
which is useful if you don't have the disk space to create the SAVF
objects before transferring them, but... the basic idea is still the
same, you're still using the "save" capability of the operating system.

If you try to copy the data directly via FTP (and not via the various
save functions of the OS) you'll lose everything besides the raw bytes
in the records. So you'll lose all of the object header information,
permissions, record format information, create date, last use date, etc,
etc. You can't use FTP to back up anything besides file objects,
either. So you really need to continue to use one of the SAVxxx tools.
Recovery would not be pretty, otherwise.

What is the syntax I should use to copy a library from my IFS to the
Server? I haven't used the IFS much, we do most everything with QDLS.

See... this is why I explained what the IFS is. QDLS is *part of* the
IFS, as is your traditional libraries. When you say "the Server" what
are you referring to, exactly?