If you're referring to the open source TN5250 (the one at http://tn5250.sf.net) then you need to:

a) Get the latest version of TN5250 (I don't remember what version the feature was added -- though I'm the programmer who added it!)

b) add +allow_strpccmd to the configuration file

Note that the correct mailing list to discuss the open source TN5250 is the Linux5250 list here at Midrange.com (not MIDRANGE-L) so I'd appreciate it if we can move this discussion there. (That is, if indeed, you're using the open source TN5250 that I'm referring to)

Steve Moland wrote:
I've an application that runs a PC program from the AS400 using a number of methods because customer use different methods of connection.
The PC program calls up a web page based on data unique to an AS400 users job

Client Access emulation sessions work fine, TN 5250 session don't work at all.

I thought I would use the STRPCO method as the prototype and then implement (which I have) a more flexible method using data queues.

I did prototype STRPCO, it worked great the, customers love it. They don't even mind the little extra PC command line window that opens a second before the browser screen opens up.

There is a simplistic charm to the STRPCO method. The process knows which AS400 job is in which PC window without my having to do anything. That is not true of the data queue method. Without some unique identifying trickery on the PC to which an AS400 jobs is absolutely tied (which complicates the begesus out each PC client install) an AS400 request can open a browser on a PC in another room. It would seem so simple but using IP addresses being known to both sides of the process falls apart for a number of reasons.

So STRPCO is really a path of very least resistance. The problem (incentive to use TN 5250) is that a company wide license for TN 5250 is a few hundred bucks. Some of my customers have hundreds of their own customers who will be using this and Client Access Licenses are out of the question.

The following works fine with Client Access, but not TN 5250. What doesn't TN 5250 like about it. This is run from a command line or from within a CL program. It doesn't fail with an error in TN 5250 it just acts as if it did it and returns to the command line.

STRPCCMD PCCMD'START http://c2c.demo.activant.com/ctoc/index.jsp?ID=iY1oLYFAMBHd3SFF9DwpAeGZDGzYBBlUZR2FDWREUTUVPOgAA') PAUSE(*NO)

Any ideas. I can't seem to find any documentation about TN5250 and the process I'm trying use.

Steve