From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:48 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: MIDRANGE-L Digest, Vol 6, Issue 1956
------------------------------

message: 5
date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:46:54 -0400
from: AGlauser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: RE: WYSIWYG Word Processing on the iSeries

Joe Pluta wrote on 25/09/2007 15:01:16:

IBM just released Lotus Symphony.

It's free.

Although IBM does seem to make it difficult to determine whether it is
free as in gratis, free as in libre, or both.

It's IBM. It's Eclipse-based. It does document, spreadsheets
and presentations.

It's not Open Office, but it's an interesting alternative.

Everything I've read implies that it _is_ OpenOffice, but with an pretty

RCP face. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure exactly
how different it is in terms of functionality from OpenOffice.

In either case, I think the important thing is that you can create ODF
documents on your System i as needed, and then use some ODF-compliant
office package to present them to your users. I suspect there are even
software packages out there to facilitate the ODF creation part.

HTH,
Adam