If memory serves correctly, didn't Scott Klement write an article on how to use JDBC with RPG? Then in fact it would be possible to use RPG to populate the Oracle db.

"Dave Odom" <Dave.Odom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 09/20/07 2:07 PM >>>
Chuck,

Thanks for your info about DIGITS, CAST, etc.; aware of DIGITS but not CAST. Perhaps I didn't tell you enough of the total requirements or I'm missing something in what you're telling me.

The first requirement is to "pull" data (the Location ID and other data) from DB2/400 and populate a table in ORACLE WITH leading zeros in the Location ID. As stated before the Location ID in DB2 doesn't have leading zeros in the Location ID column. The reason for this is because an ORACLE-based GIS database/application needs the leading zeros for some reason; perhaps comparison or integration into the GIS database.

The second requirement is for me to create some code on the i5 which will directly load the data with the Location ID having leading zeros, into an ORACLE table, replacing the table entirely each time with new data from DB2. At this point, I don't want to use FTP of data from i5 to ORACLE and then have some loading program/function do the ORACLE table load but may have to resort to this.

So, besides the padding requirement, I also have to find someone that knows how to load data into ORACLE directly from DB2 using an appropriate language understood by most modern programs available in the market so that means no RPG. I'd prefer the loading program to reside on the i5, but it may be necessary to build or buy an ELT (Extract, Transform, Load) program that may, in fact, have to reside on the i5 in PASE or the like, or on one of our i5 blades using a Windows program built in C, C++, VB, .NET or the like ,(again, modern market language), pulling the data from the IFS after it's transferred from i5 to the IFS. Not sure of the best architecture or tool and so I will solicit ideas on here. Any ideas?

Thanks much for your time,

Dave
Arizona