John,

Great job explaining what goes on. Makes perfect sense. Will investigate using Authorization Lists on our tables.

Thanks,
Scott

John Earl wrote:
Scott,

Working as designed. When you save File A in Library X, you save the
object itself, but not any private authorities that people (or groups)
may have to File A. The record of Group G's authority to File A is
actually stored in Group G's profile, not in the File A object
descriptor.

When you restore File A to Library Y (instead of X), you are actually
creating a new object that needs its security specifically set.
Otherwise, the File A will accept it's authority from the library value
CRTAUT.

There is one notable exception, if you used an Authorization list to
secure File A, a reference to the Authorization List is stored in the
File A object descriptor, and when you restore File A to Library Y, the
Authorization list will follow and Group G will have all of the
authorities it previously had.

Yet another good reason to use Authorization Lists.

jte

--
John Earl, VP and Chief Technology Officer
PowerTech: 253-872-7788