About ten years ago (or more?) there was an article somewhere on the web
from a guy in Canada who converted his client, who had branches coast to
coast, a LOT of them.

For the solution they wanted, he put Linux-based thin clients at ALL
their stations, and all of them ran connected from their central
offices. I don't remember the details, but the main box was a System i.

Anybody remember that?

I've been sold on thin clients ever since they became an issue. Over the
long haul I have told my employers that they would eventually become
king.

Back in 1998, the company where I was working set up a new branch office
with all thin clients. But the vendor didn't have experience in it, so
it was such a hassle that the next two branches were 5250's. BUT! The
company was later bought, and eventually they converted their
distribution branches to new System-i software that used -thin clients!

+-========================.

(quoting)"...Around here, Excel seems to be the preferred tool for the
users to punish the MIS department.

USER: My monthly sales don't match my quarter sales...

IT: Where did your sales totals come from?

USER: This Excel from Fred and that Excel from Jo... Here, you figure
it out...

IMO, as more of us get better at using graphic interfaces, and leverage
the fact that their data comes from our central box(es), we can get them
more used to looking up that data at real-time, and direct from our box.

Also, I know that scenario is inevitable with the spreadsheet files, but
it is also where we need to tell them once it's off the box it's not
supported. As our interfaces improve, and as more of us get better at
using them, they'll also start getting used to getting their data direct
from the system. We can now give them practically any sort order they
want on the fly and filter it (SQL etc.)

--Alan