Why would the workers ENTER anything? Why would any solution require the
workers to ENTER a cost code? This is green screen thinking at its finest!

If you used RFID, for example, you could have an RFID reader in several
places. None of these would have to require anything but their own battery
power, and they could all be portable devices. Each of these could be linked
to a cost code - voila! Or, you could have the worker wave their hand in a
left-right direction for cost code 7, and up-down for cost code 8. Cost code
9 would require doing the hokey-pokey, and if you start with the right leg,
it is cost code 4.

Paul, there are so many possibilities to solving this business problem. If
you continue to think with your green brain - there will never be a solution
other than a foreman keying in data into a terminal, 5250 emulator, newlook,
or PSC/400.

I wonder if a green brain means it is moldy (or mouldy)?