From: "Steve Moland" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:12 AM
Subject: Thin Clients

While not necessarily limited to the functionality of thin clients, I get
a regular "personal" and in my face reminder of using the wrong tool. Make
no mistake, I love working with my PC and its application all day long but
"there are those times".

When your job depends on the through-put of work that people who report to
you can get through a system, it becomes clear to you that political
correctness is your enemy.

My background in accounting and company paper flow gives me a more
been-there-done-that way of looking at what counts, and I think to ask
those who have to use these system if they see what I see.

I haven't had to worry about my pay being based on such an environment for
a long long time and that is great.

One of the many things I do is to keep and maintain a software use
authorization database for a software company. Some of their customers
have hundreds of in-store Iseries boxes. For many of the cpu additions and
changes my browser based software over our local intranet is about as fast
as it could be in response time and the design paid good attention to
through put.

However, every once in awhile I get a list of dozens of changes and it is
when I'm trying to get out the door, or the requestee forgot to get a new
batch of boxes authorized and they are stuck in finishing the many
software loads they need to do now. I don't begrudged the requests because
that's part of what the service is.

At that point I am reminded of the differences between browser based and a
few other green screen things I work on. Every time I have to take my
hands off the keyboard to use the mouse I want to throw it across the
room. I'm a fast and accurate two-handed typist and I miss the buffered
reliable "type type, ENTER, type, tab, etc." that makes for real through
put production. When I have to work on one those lists in a hurry my hands
are sweating before I finish.

And I have to tell you I've really tried to help the situation by buying
and discarding a bunch of mice in order to find one that is responsive
enough but not overly responsive. I really miss the take no prisoner
positive keyboard feedback of the old IBM 5250 90 Pound terminals.

The browser app has lots of "cute" features but "cute" suffers badly you
got to get the job done NOW. It's wonderful for the less than trained user
and suppose if I was responsible for having to employ some of the poor
quality workers out there I would think differently.

regards
Steve Moland

list