Tommy - Jeff is not using either select/omit or join logicals, as far as I can see. He just wants the ability to have fewer than all the columns along with the index, which is only available with DDS-defined logicals, not DDL-defined logicals - heh - otherwise known as indexes and views.

It is true that views and indexes can be used in F-specs - but not combined.

So he can create the PF with DDL, as others have suggested - then make the LF over it to get the column-filtering he wants, and keyed.

Vern

From: Tommy.Holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"As long as you're using native I/O you're _are_ going to have to have DDS
logicals. Unless you're
writing/rewriting from the ground up to avoid the need for capabilities
only available to DDS
logicals."

i have to disagree on this point. DDS logicals are not necessary for
native I/O. as to avoiding the need for DDS capabilites you don't have to
rewrite the world. I've never been a fan of select/omit or join logical
files. it becomes a tedious pain when you have 15 LFs that are keyed in
the order you need but every fricking one has a select/omit which makes
them totally useless to you. this is one of the reason you'll see 5
billion LFs over a single PF. create the LF (or SQL index) and code for
your conditions...

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

"Wilt, Charles" <WiltC@xxxxxxxxxx>
09/11/2007 03:48 PM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: CREATE INDEX and name only some columns

Why?

If you need it for native I/O, use a DDS logical.

As long as the physical file is defined with DDL, you get the important
benefits of using DDL vs. DDS
including:
-Validation on Write instead of Read
-64K Access paths (when logical shares an SQL access path)

As long as you're using native I/O you're _are_ going to have to have DDS
logicals. Unless you're
writing/rewriting from the ground up to avoid the need for capabilities
only available to DDS
logicals.

HTH,
Charles