Thanks, Pete and Rob.

Sounds like I would be OK then because I could still get console access
without physically accessing the HMC.

That port issue that Rob mentioned could be a problem. Our security
rules are pretty inflexible. There would be no restrictions between the
HMC and the iSeries (they could be directly connected via a CAT5 cable),
but would anything more than port 80 need to be open between the HMC and
a remote administrator? I was under the impression that the new V7
interface was browser-only. Perhaps this does not mean HTTP only on port
80.

The link that Rob sent
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r3s/index.jsp?topic=/
iphb8/remote5250.htm
indicates that I would be using iSeries Access emulator on port 2300 or
2301 rather than a simple browser. Perhaps I misunderstood IBM's
intention about remote access via a standard browser.

Thanks again you guys and sorry I keep asking so many questions but it
is helpful to get the scoop from somebody who actually uses the thing.

-Marty

------------------------------

date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:17:26 -0400
from: "Pete Massiello" <pmassiello-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: POWER6 now or later?

I was using the term consoles as yes, 5250 sessions. What we would all
call
DSP01 for each partition. Only on the actual HMC itself can you start
them,
but as Rob said in a previous note, you can connect to them and they
will
start.

I would hope in future releases of the HMC code, that you would have an
option to start these consoles automatically at startup.

Pete